Products used for the initial treatment phase to transform the skin into leather. QUIMSER produces special products for soaking, preserving, liming, deliming, bating, pickling and basifying agents.
Soaking / Degreasing agents
– Products for soaking, wetting, cleaning leathers. They soften the skin fibres to prepare them for treatments.
– They accelerate the leather processes, improving the soaking and wetting of leathers.
– They accelerate the penetration and distribution of products in the processes used.
– They are very effective at removing the natural leather fat, which is detrimental to obtaining good penetration and evenness of the products used in subsequent processes.
– In dehairing they achieve a clean, open and even appearance.
– In liming they improve the penetration and action of liming products, avoiding grain looseness, helping in the reduction of wrinkles and the removal of hair roots.
– This is particularly important to obtain clean, smooth and fine grain leather.
– In wet-blue they even the differences of the leather’s natural fat and achieve a high level of wetting and degreasing.
Alkalinity stabilizer with masking effect in the soaking and liming processes to improve the pelt quality compared with other alkalis like caustic soda. It ensures a stable pH that allows for safe work, avoiding the danger of an alkaline attack due to an excessively high pH as in other strong alkaline products. Long duration pH stabilizer in the soaking process to avoid high peaks of pH when adding the product. It maintains alkalinity during the soaking process. This is especially important in the 48h soaking-liming processes. Other alkalis like carbonate soda or caustic soda lose effectiveness during the soaking process.
Active soaking and wetting auxiliary. Enzymatic activity of 3000 LVU.
High soaking and wetting capacity. Degreasing agent. Recommended for dry hides/skins or with soaking/wetting difficulties.
Very effective soaking, wetting and degreasing agent. Recommended for hides/skins with high fat content and for all beamhouse processes. Very effective for small leathers (sheep, goat, crossbreeds…).
Liming / Dehairing
Anti-wrinkle, dehairing agent, liming and sulphur solubiliser.
These agents accelerate penetration and lime solubilisation. They help to reduce lime and sulphur. They permit:
– A better attack on sulphur linkages and hair roots which allows for removal of the hair, to obtain clean and finer grain.
– An attack that softens and relaxes the elastic and nerve fibres, helping to smooth wrinkles and to increase the surface area.
– A reduction of contamination as it permits a reduction of lime and sulphur.
Basifying / Masking
The basifying, complexing, masking agents aim to fix chromium in a regulated manner, assuring:
– Thorough penetration and chromium fixation in the whole thickness and surface of the leather.
– pH regulation during the tanning process with an appropriate pH achieved at the end of tanning.
– No stains caused by the basifying agent.
– Sudden Cr precipitation is avoided due to the use of energetic alkaline products.
– High Cr depletion compared to alkaline basifying agents normally used like Carbonates, Bicarbonates, Formates….
– Evenness of wet-blue colour resulting from different productions.
– Human mistakes are avoided during the process (e.g addition of product, timing, quantities…)
Omplex products have an alkalinity potential duly studied and a delayed action that gives the results detailed above. Omplex products have other advantages in comparison with traditional products, as they form aggregate Cr complexes that provide full hides, finer grains, lighter colours and less reactive leathers, which means better penetration of retanning agents, fatliquors and dyestuffs. Additionally they allow for the reduction of the quantity of chromium used in the tanning operation.
Medium basifying ability. Medium masking/complexing ability. Stabiliser effect. Maximum exhaustion of Cr2O3. Minimum level of pollution. Perfect inner and superficial uniformity of Cr.
High basifying ability. Low masking ability. Light stabilizing effect and slow Cr basification.
Preserving products to prevent the development of fungi and the putrefaction of the skin. The active substances of products have a wide range of action, covering fungi, bacteria, yeast… All products are water-soluble.
The bactericides prevent damage and loss caused by fungus and bacteria (putrefaction).
They work during the soaking process, preventing the development of microbial spreads, putrefaction, root attacks and loss of hair or wool.
They do not remove any damage caused before soaking by deficiencies in conservation during the storing and transportation of hides.
Dosage will depend on the amount of dirt, temperature and soaking time.
Usually 0,05-0,10% in prewash and 0,15-0,25 in soaking (pelt weight).
The fungicides are highly effective against a wide spectrum of moulds, fungi, bacteria and yeasts.
They give a wide range of protection for all kinds of leathers.
They provide protection for wet raw hides and skins for long time periods, through temperature changes, and long distance transport.
Fungicides are used principally for wet-blue leather protection.
These products help us to obtain, softer, smoother, more elastic, firmer and more compact leathers.
This is achieved through the neutralisation and solubilisation of lime remains, by acidification with slow reacting buffering products.
They form liming salts that are easily soluble. These products are highly recommended and essential for use in thick leathers to avoid splitting.
The use of non-buffered alkaline salts, achieves an immediate, superficial neutralisation when it comes in contact with the lime, making it difficult to achieve a deep deliming.
The use of RESKAL promotes a progressive de-swelling of the leather and optimises the action of the deliming products. The slow and buffed action of RESKAL enables a total penetration of deliming products within the leathers. It permits a correct pH adjustment and prepares the leather for the prime work of the bating products.
A bad deliming causes leftovers of the lime to remain in the leather, resulting in harder leathers and problems later such as:
– Lack of penetration and precipitation of tanning products.
– Penetration problems of tanning products, fatliquors and dyestuffs.
– Hardness within the leather, and a superficial dry touch. Lack of elasticity and flexibility.
– An increase in the use of products of retanning, fatliquors, dyestuffs in order to compensate for the hardness and lack of penetration of products because of deficient deliming.
The use of buffered deliming products, like RESKAL, helps to eliminate lime deposits.
Effective enzymatic products that ensure an excellent bating.
The aim of bating is to break and eliminate the nerve fibres, elastin and others, in order to obtain softer, more elastic and flexible leathers with clean surfaces.
The optimum bating effect will be reached at pH 7,5-8 and a temperature of 35-40ºC.
Our bating products are eco-friendly because they are ammonium free.
Note: We can also prepare special bating products according to your needs of concentration or diluting products.